Sunday, July 18, 2010

Paint Experiment











The word is that the ink from the PVC bar code and writing shows through the paint if you just paint over it. Suggestions are to use acetone and steel wool, comet cleanser or sand it off. Acetone barely smeared it, comet cleanser less and after several minutes of hand sanding and seeing only a fading of the ink, I started looking for an easier way. I sanded a little with my roto drexel tool and it took it off quickly, in small amounts and left grooves. I went to the chemical engineering department (the kitchen) and found the old and powerful Goof Off. First coat blurred the ink much more. A second go got rid of most of it, but still slightly visible.










I wanted to see see just how bad it would show so I did an experiment.










Using Krylon Primer spray paint for plastic, I sprayed half of the tube cleaned with Goof Off and half of a scrap tube (remember that Tee put on wrong?) with ink untouched. I then sprayed both with Krylon Satin color paint. As you can see from my bad test spray of the Tee the ink does not show under the paint or the primer. On the tube it does not show at all. In fact the worst part showing were the grooves left from the bad sanding. I've decided to use the Goof Off on the most visible ink, although most of it will be pointed inward or downward, use the rest of my primer since I have it, on those visible parts, and paint away!

1 comment:

  1. Or you could do an elaborate, full-body paint job of running text similar to the PVC bar code. That would only take like three years, right?

    ReplyDelete