Monday, July 5, 2010

Practical Lessons



Lots of practical lessons. Here is the positioned PVC for one front side. Note that the bottom Ts will look like they are butted up to one another, but a 2&1/8" pipe connects them. Also keep angles and general design in mind when glueing. Don't do picture 2! The glue dries before you can twist into place.

Next is a photo of the Ts and cross bars glued in place.


Next Lesson: Don't assume that just because Home Depot has a box of Ts or elbows labeled 1&1/4" and has a lot of them in there that all of them are the same! I returned 2 1&1/2" Ts, 1 1&1/4" T with a screw thread, and one elbow with a screw thread. Sit on the floor and make sure each one of the 10 or 20 or 30 are what you want.


Previous Lesson: Two of the 26" cuts from last time should have been 2 13" cuts. It is hard to keep track of what goes where. I found it helpful to make my own list of pipe lengths broken into
functional sections: front sides, back sides, floor, front, axle, top, dash. That way, I can break the project down to comprehensible, bite size tasks. I can more easily find what I need with a small pile than with a big pile of pipe. I also penciled on the pipe the length when I measured it. I found it helpful to label it with the section when cutting for more than one section.

Laying out visually/physically verifies that you have done what you thought you did.


Here are the two sides laid out, with one missing the 13" pipe that was scrapped because of the messed up perpendicular Ts. (photo 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment